In another abnormal (for me) moment of clarity I decided to have their names engraved on the cover. They were so excited to see their names and now there is no fighting over who's book is who's. Even Dillon can read the names and pass them out properly. And is it just me or is there anything cuter than the the hardback Book of Mormon's with your babies names on them? Best $7 spent ever!
So now each night we have our family prayer, read a chapter, the boys say their prayers and then it is off to dreamland. Evenings work best as 3/4 of our family are not "morning people" and we are all usually home!
Now don't get me wrong... there is no high horse in this scenario. We have had squabbles over who reads first. Refusal's to read anymore (usually mid verse) or to sound words out. There are fights over who prays first and about kneeling down. And it's only been 5 days...
My problem with scripture study has always been consistency. I do good for a few days then I skip a few, then a month passes and I am not reading at all again. So I have read 1st & 2nd Nephi more times than I could possibly count. But this time has to be different. Now I have to be the MOM and make sure that we do it!
A thing I love about this technological age we live in is that I can fire up the internet and find inspiration about just about any subject from our wonderful church leaders. So I googled "be consistent lds talk" to see what I could find. Oh the most marvelous talk came up! You must read it. "More Diligent and Concerned at Home" by: Elder David A. Bednar. The entire talk spoke to my soul but the following stood out for obvious reasons:
As our sons were growing up, our family did what you have done and what you now do. We had regular family prayer, scripture study, and family home evening. Now, I am sure what I am about to describe has never occurred in your home, but it did in ours.Sometimes Sister Bednar and I wondered if our efforts to do these spiritually essential things were worthwhile. Now and then verses of scripture were read amid outbursts such as “He’s touching me!” “Make him stop looking at me!” “Mom, he’s breathing my air!” Sincere prayers occasionally were interrupted with giggling and poking. And with active, rambunctious boys, family home evening lessons did not always produce high levels of edification. At times Sister Bednar and I were exasperated because the righteous habits we worked so hard to foster did not seem to yield immediately the spiritual results we wanted and expected.Today if you could ask our adult sons what they remember about family prayer, scripture study, and family home evening, I believe I know how they would answer. They likely would not identify a particular prayer or a specific instance of scripture study or an especially meaningful family home evening lesson as the defining moment in their spiritual development. What they would say they remember is that as a family we were consistent.
Inspiration indeed. With two VERY active and rambunctious boys of my own this was directed towards me...this very week. Here's to being consistent!
6 comments:
Surprise surprise I actually have read that talk. I thought he was talking to me though. I think he must have been sitting in MY family room. I have the same problem with consistency, I feel like I get more frustrated during scriptures than other times. So I know the feeling.
You are such a great Mom! Loved the inspiring words from Elder Bednar, and from you!
I so know what you mean! I don't even have kids (well, almost :) ) and I still can't find the time to be consistent with scripture study. Thanks for the inspiration to do better!!
That is one of my fave all time conference talks! I know just exactly what he is talking about as I'm sure you do too! Keep going I know you can do it! And... you'll all be blessed for it.
Good to start them now cause when they get older, they will remember the words you read with them.
Good for you! I know it's hard. We've been working on it at home too, and it's easy to slip a little here and there. Keep at it!
Post a Comment