Today I attended Celia's funeral. She was 39 years old and had 5 children. I was not prepared to have to start attending my cousin's funerals. I am 28 years old...I wanted to wait decades to have to do this.
Celia was 10 years older than me so we were never really close. The thing about Celia though is she always made a point to say hello and ask me how I was, and seem genuinely interested in my life. She was like that for everyone. She always made you feel welcome. I do remember my dad taking us to see her play basketball when she was in high school and loving watching her (and getting Bug Hunk candy bars!)
Her service was beautiful. There was a wonderful choir and her brave and beautiful daughters played in a string orchestra to accompany them. Celia loved music and I'm sure was touched by the tribute.
There were so many touching moments with her family members. As a mother of young boys myself you can only imagine how devastating it was to see a note from her 6 year old in her hands. Babies should not have to bury their mothers. It's just not right.
During the luncheon I saw a familiar figure out the corner of my eye. A tall woman with dark hair and bangs. It was Celia coming to say hello like always... only it couldn't be. It was such a weird moment and I had to do a double take to realize it was her baby sister Kit. I was sad that I wouldn't hear her voice again, or see her cheerful smile.
I am hurting so bad for her family right now.
Today's events made me think about my own life. If an unexpected event like this happened to me...
- Am I ready spiritually
- Have I prepared my home and other affairs
- Have I properly taught my children
Today's events made me think about my own life. If an unexpected event like this happened to me...
- Am I ready spiritually
- Have I prepared my home and other affairs
- Have I properly taught my children
2 comments:
Mindy, I'm so sorry. I've been thinking about similar things lately... We need to do lunch next week!
That is so sad. I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like she was a wonderful person. It's so nice to have good memories of her someday you can share them with her kids.
Post a Comment