CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

September 1, 2009

The clouds roll by...




Last night a storm rolled into our desert town. Usually they roll in and right back out again but last night it stayed for awhile. Storms mean 3 things in the Casa de Karafa:

1. The dog will howl at the thunder and fuss until I let her out to examine the sky.
2. The children will be stinky as I am afraid to bathe them in lightening.
3. I will be scared and pretend that the aforementioned stinkers are sleeping in my bed because THEY are afraid of the storm.

If I was asked if I could take 1 thing to a desert isle (besides my family) it would be my bed. My bed is the center of our home. It is where our children slept peacefully between us (for far too long), it is where we pray together, play together, read together, learn together.

It occurred to me last night that of the 30 days Blair was only home 8. It's by far been the longest we have been apart in all our marriage. He also informed me this weekend that it will likely be at least 6 more months of the same.

Last Thursday I locked my bedroom door (with two screaming kids on the other side) and knelt at my bed sobbing. Begging and pleading my Father in Heaven to help me through the rest of my day. I knew it was just a few more hours but I could honestly not bear it. And then the phone rang... and it was Blair.

My Heavenly Father knew exactly what I needed (of course he did). He knew that the sound of my husbands voice could calm me in a way that no other could. That he could remind to keep looking at the bigger picture. I spoke to him for only a few moments but that was all I needed to finish the last few hours of my day. I am grateful for a loving husband who is able to push the storm clouds in my life away, even if it is only over the phone for awhile.

4 comments:

Darice said...

Mindy,
I love this post. Thank goodness for husbands!

Kristin said...

I am glad to know I am not the only one who locks herself in her room and cries when her husband has been out of town too long. I feel for you. . .6 months is a long time! Let me know if you need anything or just a break!

Brooke Jenkins said...

All I can say is Amen. Can we play while Chris is gone on his training? I love you Mindy.

Marilyn said...

Mindy, what a sweet post. Okay, your mom told me you had a blog and after a short search, I found it. It has been way too long since I have seen you, but am so glad I found you here.
-Marilyn Campa